Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking shares a blended chorizo and mushroom taco recipe that will add the necessary spice to your summer nights!
Last weekend, I went to Austin and didn’t eat a single taco! Who am I?! This is 100% unacceptable behavior. My sister is likely moving to Austin this summer, and I plan on visiting way more than necessary. As an older sister, it’s my job to be annoying and overstay my welcome as I eat my way through the city.
Really, how does one person go to Austin and not eat any tacos? So I came home, and after a 3 hour nap, whipped up a batch of these Mushroom, Potato & Chorizo Tacos. I’m obsessed with ‘shrooms. Eat them as much as possible, and I love them in these tacos.
The potatoes, chorizo and mushroom all work perfectly together to give you a filling taco that isn’t greasy but satisfying. I had high hopes of serving these with some guacamole, but I ate it all before I went in for the photo. Typical behavior.
So instead I topped these little tacos with some crumbled cotija cheese, a few sprigs of cilantro and some salsa on the side. If you’re going to show some self-control, clearly something I lack, I’d suggest serving these up with smoky chipotle guacamole.
My hubby gave this one two thumbs up
It’s a quick and easy and PERFECT summer meal! And it’s great because I’ve been slowly reducing the amount of meat we eat, and mushrooms are a great substitute! Assuming my hubby doesn’t read this blog post, he’ll never know my secret.
Mushroom, Potato and Chorizo Tacos
- 2 medium red-skin potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces baby bella or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- Cotija Cheese
- In a medium pot, add potatoes and cover with water about 1 inch above the potatoes. Place the pot on a burner on high and boil until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, combine the chorizo and onion. Sauté, stirring very frequently, until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes more until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the potatoes and stir to combine. Let the entire mixture cook for about 5 minutes more until the potatoes are just golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in a warm, damp kitchen towel, put them on a microwave-safe plate dish, and warm them in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- Top each tortilla with the mushroom, potato chorizo mixture and any desired toppings and serve immediately.