Paula from Bell’alimento kicks off National Nutrition Month with a meatloaf recipe that guarantees a dose of mushrooms in every bite. Discover her secret below.
Meatloaf is an American classic. Its comfort food at its finest and if you’re in our house you would be breaking a law if it’s not served with mashed potatoes. At least that’s what my Grandma told us. There is no doubt with this meatloaf that you’re going to want to have those garlic mashed potatoes to go with the divine mushroom sauce. One bite and this recipe is sure to be your family’s favorite new meatloaf recipe.
What makes this recipe so special? We’ve added mushrooms INTO the meatloaf as well as the sauce. We’ve pulsed up a portion of the mushrooms in a food processor to give the meatloaf an earthy undertone. The three varieties of meat keep it lean and mean. The sauce, well that’s the kicker. It’s full on mushroom love.
Go ahead and give it a try. We know you’ll love it as much as we do.
Blended Mushroom Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms – divided
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups broth – divided
- 1/2 cup half/half
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf blend (beef, pork, veal)
- 1/2 onion – minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg – beaten
- Into a large oven proof skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add 12 ounces sliced mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Sprinkle flour on top of mushrooms. Stir until well coated. Add 2 1/2 cups of broth. Continue cooking until mixture begins to thicken. Add cream and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pulse remaining 4 ounces of mushrooms in a food processor.
- Into a large bowl add: meat, onion, Worcestershire, 1/4 cup broth, panko, egg and mushrooms. Mix until just combined.
- Form into two equal loafs and place into skillet (in sauce). Transfer to oven and bake for approximately 1 hour or until meat is cooked through.
- Skim fat off sauce prior to serving.